At about1000 the Wenden founded "Liubice" as a principality settlement of craftsmen and a place for trading at the mouth of the Schwartau-river and the Trave-river.
Liubice got destroyed by the Slavonians in1136.
The Earl Adolf II. von Schaumburg founded a new
settlement of craftsmen at the Trave-river, but this got
destroyed by a fire1157.
1159Luebeck was refounded by Heinrich the Lion.
1170and the following decade big churches were
started to build: the Dom, St.Marien and St.Petri.Ů
The Emporer Friedrich II. confers the freedom of an
Empire on the city of Luebeck in1226.
About 1300Luebeck became the head of the Town
Alliance of the "Hanse", at which the first official meeting
called "Hansetag" took place in Luebeck at1358.
With the peace treaty of Stralsund in1370, after 2 wars
with Denmark Luebeck reached it's highest power as a "Hansetown."
The last "Hansetag", the last meeting of Hanse was hold
in Luebeck too, in1669, at which the nine German Hanse-
towns got together. Hamburg, Bremen and Luebeck remain
as free- and Hansetowns as the heritage of the Hanse until
The Frenchmen occupied the townfrom 1806 to 1813.
1866Luebeck joined the North-German-Alliance and in
1871the town became an independent federal state.
▄From 1900 on the industrial
revolution also set in in Luebeck
and it became an industrial and
The "Gro▀-Hamburg-Gesetz", a law of1937
ended the freedom of the Empire and Luebeck
joined the province of Schleswig-Holstein.
▄On March, the 29th in 1942 a fifth of the historical old town got destroyed in a bombardment.
From 1949on the rebuilding of Luebeck took place and
because of the successful efforts Luebeck gets cited
internationally as an example for successful caring for monuments.